F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I RECEIVED A PHONE CALL OUT OF THE BLUE ON 27/05/16 FROM

HI ***** PHONE CALL OUT OF THE BLUE ON 27/05/16 FROM REBECCA UMNEY - FINANCIAL HELP UK REGARDING MY PRIVATE PENSIONS WITH STANDARD LIFE AND CLERICAL MEDICAL SHE SAID THE GOVERNMENT HAD PASSED A RULING THAT PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE THEIR PENSIONS REVIEWED ANNUALLY SHE SENT A COLLEAGUE OF HERS ROUND TO MY HOME ON 09/06/16 TO GET COPIES OF MY DRIVING LICENCE AND LATEST BANK STATEMENT AND I THEN RECEIVED A LETTER OF AUTHORITY FROM AN INDEPENDENT FINANCIAL ADVISOR - CROSS WEALTH MANAGEMENT LTD
THIS LETTER ASKS EACH OF MY PENSION PROVIDERS TO SEND OUT THE LATEST COPY OF MY PENSION DOCUMENTS INCLUDING AN ILLUSTRATION OF BENEFITS AT RETIREMENT, TRANSFER VALUES,AS WELL AS A FULL TRANSFER PACK INCLUDING QROPS DISCHARGE FORMS !!!
IS THIS A CON ????
I HAVE NOT SENT ANYTHING BACK YET AND RECEIVED A FURTHER CALL 10 MINUTES AGO 1.20PM 22/06/16 FROM A MOBILE NUMBER ASKING IF I HAD SENT THE LETTERS BACK YET - I TOLD THEM I HAD ( BUT I HAVE NOT )
PLEASE CAN YOU LET ME KNOW AT YOUR EARLIEST CONVENIENCE AS I AM VERY WORRIED.
BEST WISHES
JENNY SWAIN
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Is your concern that they are going to try and get your money from you by fraud or theft or direct from the pension company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Financial Advisers are not authorised to advise on investments or pensions or insurance unless they are registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

I can find neither Rebecca Umney nor Cross Wealth Management on the FCA register.

So I picked up the telephone and I rang Financial Help UK who are registered with the FCA. They confirmed that Rebecca Umney does work there and although she is not a financial adviser she is a researcher and hence, to make the telephone calls but is not on the register. I spoke to helpful gentleman called Daniel Tait who is the managing director of the company.

They get enquiries from people with pensions and refer them to an Independent Financial Adviser. That would be Cross Wealth Management. He said that the FCA registration would be in the name of the individual at Cross not the name of the company and he was going to ring me back with the name. As soon as I hear, I will check the registration details and revert to you.

One thing that Mr Tait did confirm and did so without me raising the issue with him which I would have done had he not confirm this, is that it’s not a ruling from the government but a recommendation. You are free to have your pensions reviewed whenever you like.

At this stage in time, there is nothing to make me think that your money is at risk but you are of course free, if you are not 100% comfortable, to simply ask the people not to contact you again because you’ve decided not to proceed.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that has been helpful - it would be good to have the name of the person at Cross Wealth.