Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

If my lodger has bad credit will it affect me if I apply to

hi, if my lodger has bad credit will it affect me if I apply to re mortgage my property to extend...or if he has applied for credit cards while renting my spare room...we have no financial connection other than he rents from me...and will his credit cards show on my credit rating
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. You lodgers credit rating will have no baring on yours what so ever. If you own the property any search on your lodger would not include your property. Also you cannot be held liable for your lodgers debts unless you agree in writing. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank goodness for that..i thought it would affect my remortgage application as he's been here 6 months and has received new credit cards you have been great
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. He can apply for credit at your address, but as he doesnt own the property it is of no relevance to his assets or your credit score. The only thing to bare in mind is that the bank (or mortgage) may ask him to sign a form saying he will not assert any rights to the property as he is only a lodger. They may or may not do this, I have seen it done in the past. Kind regards AJ

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

I would be most grateful for any feedback on my answer. If I can assist you any further please let me know. Kind regards AJ