75100385

PROPERTY TENANCY LAWS EVICTIONS THANKYOU

Customer Question

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Could you please explain your statuation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have been given a section 21 notice to quit the property (dated 20th jan 2016 i was supposed to leave on 17th of may and was given a extention till 17th july )i have lived in since june 1992 my mother was the named on the rent book however i was contributing to the rent, when she died 1st august 2001 i continued to live in the property and pay the rent do i have any rights as i have lived here for 24 years
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

What type of tenancy do you have please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the letter says assured shorthold tenancy however i can not remember signing a tenancy agreement it was originally with kivells estate agent then changed to jefferys estate agents prior to may 2010, during 2012 i had to pay a deposit as there was not one originally
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i have to go out now to view a property
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Can you ask them for a copy of any tenancy agreement, as this is quite important to the type of tenancy you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have done that this afternoon and have asked for a copy will get back to you when i know thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

How are we getting on with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, there is a assured shorthold tenancy dated 1st september 2001
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

It's bad news I am afraid. If This is an assured shorthold tenancy the landlord is entitled and permitted to give you notice. The landlord only need to give you two months notice.

This is because as an assured shorthold tenant you only have a right to stay until the end of the fixed term. This usually expires after 6 or 12 months.

After this the landlord can ask for possession and as long as the landlord has given notice the court will give possession.

Sadly this means you have no right to remain, all you can do is delay the process.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor is it the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry it's not better news. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/