13262538

I was divorced in 1984. There was no settlement agreement as

I was divorced in 1984. There was no settlement agreement as there were no assets. We later lived together for a further period without a "living together agreement" but acquired some assets. Upon going our separate ways, again, I agreed to pay a financial settlement upon the sale of all assets at a future time. This document is signed by both parties and notarised. My ex-wife has now gone to a solicitor who is threatening to file a form A if I do not provide my personal information. Is this relevant given that the divorce was in 1984 and we already have a financial settlement agreement? Do I have to provide information and is a Form A relevant?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Has she remarried?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Family lawyer for more than 30 years

technically if she has never remarried then it would be possible to reopen the 1984 Divorce and make a financial claim on it.

However there is a great deal of "bluff" involved as the fact that there were no assets at the time of the divorce and all the assets actually relate to a subsequent cohabitation

means that the Court is not likely to actually entertain the application and act upon it.

Please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.