75100385

We are a small business and are being harassed by British

Hi we are a small business and are being harassed by British Gas for payment of an energy bill which only submitted 12 months AFTER they had ceased supplying us. When I initially contacted them about this they confirmed it was an error on their part and credit notes would be submitted to correct these which we received all bar one. I called again spoke to an adviser who again confirmed the error and told us to ignore the bill and I of course made notes and dated and timed the response.
Some months later the harassment started again but only for the later bill which after much debate I still refused to pay. This has been passed to a debt recovery agent who I have spoken with and explained the situation to and they were quite understanding they suspended the action util they had spoken with British Gas. They now have come back asking for the full amount !!! We have changed suppliers twice since British Gas supplied us, they changed the meter twice in twelve months the last one to a smart meter which should supply the info straight away not a goo twelve months later.
I am not willing to pay this I am not able to check anything that they have provided twelve months after the supply ceased can you tell me where I stand please
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve? Have you made any formal complaints?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have complained about this to British Gas but the Agents are off shore. I want to know really where we stand I don't accept that 12 months after we changed supplier we should be getting bills that should have been sent to us when they stopped supplying
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You can do several things:
1) Write to British Gas. Make sure you send it recorded delivery and keep a copy. Register a formal complaint, this will be hard to ignore. Their address is:

British Gas, Spinneyside, Penman Way, Grove Park, Leicester LE19 1SZ

2) You need to allow them to investigate. If they do not or reject your complaint then you can complain to the Energy Ombudsman. They are independent and offer a free service at:

www.ombudsman-services.org/energy

But you need to complain directly to British Gas before you can go direct to the Ombudsman.

For more information please see:

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/content/dam/bgbusiness/documents/BritishGasBusiness_ComplaintsProcedure.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi is there no time limit on when they can send bills I would expect a final bill within a month not this sort of mess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if they take court action in view of what I have said would we stand a chance of winning
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

They have 6 years to send a final bill.

If they took it to Court, I dont think it would win based on what you have said.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex I had better speak to their agents as they are threatening legal action I did offer to pay the final bill after they reduced it by £25 but only when they sent me an amended invoice for accounting this never came instead it was passed to a debt collection agency I explained it all they referred back to British Gas who then came back including the the amounts on the invoices that they had provided credit notes for !! we paid all the bills that the provided us with when they were supplying us !!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Indeed. But follow the steps I have advised, starting by a formal written complaint.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though they are threatening legal action
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Correct, you can defend it on the basis they are not entitled to collect the debt as you are not liable.

Does that clarify? Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/