75100385

Is it also an offence candidate to make a false statement,

Customer Question

Is it also an offence for a candidate to make a false statement, not about a fellow candidate but another matter (economics etc) that they know to be false and use that false statement to win votes.? Could an election result be challenged if they won the election based on false statements..?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In a UK election. Is it a criminal offence for a candidate to make a false statement to win votes?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

This could be fraud by false representation. However it does not necessarily make the election void.

You may need to consider a judicial review which is where a high court judge considers what has happened and decide whether or not to order the reelection.

You should complain to the electoral commission and they can investigate this and report it to the police where necessary.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/