Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

As a co-director of a company can I pay personal legal

As a co-director of a company can I pay personal legal advice invoices through the company?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

If the advice you are receiving is in respect of your personal affairs, I am afraid the Solicitor will not be able to issue an Invoice payable by your Company, as the Company is not their client and it would be seen as tax evasion, if you were wanting to re-claim back any VAT payable on the Invoice.

I hope this clarifies the legal position to you.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,No , the solicitor was sitting in on a company board meeting as a neutral mediator, as agreed by both directors beforehand.
He was not acting for me personally. The issue I have is that my co-director seems to now think this should not be payable/invoiced via our company? Does this help?

It al depends on "who" instructed the Solicitor to act as mediator and "who" the Solicitor's client is. If it was the Company, then the Solicitor will be entitled to bill the Company, and therefore the costs shall be paid by the Company.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that.
If I require any future legal advise, as a co-director (individually) would I be personally accountable for a solicitors fees or can I pay them through the company?

To be honest, it all depends on the nature of the advice you sought. If you were wanting general advice for your own benefit, and your co-Director objected, you wouldn't be able to put the Invoices through the Company. If the advice was required to enable you to solve a Company problem or was needed to enable you to decide on a course of action for the Company, it is perfectly OK for such invoices to be billed to the Company.

Sorry I can't be any more specific, but it does all depend on the nature and reasoning behind the advice you require.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi, if I have assisted, please don't forget to rate my answer. Many thanks Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Many thanks for you answers above, they are very helpful.
Just to be a little more direct,as a co-director I am trying to negotiate an orderly exit from my co-directer and am taking legal advice along the way. Can I pay my solicitors invoice's through the company?Best