chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My relative has got mself into an awful mess. He had work

My relative has got himself into an awful mess. He had work done on his house by builders who turned out to be criminal. They went past the amount of money he had and said that they would take the house in lieu and he could stay in it. Sometime later he had a letter saying that he had been defrauded and needed to go to a solicitor and fill out a form for the Land Registry reclaiming his house. Because he was so embarrassed at being fooled and perhaps intimidated by the builders he could not be persuaded by family to go and do this. The house has now been sold over his head as profits of criminal activity, for about half its value, at auction and bought by a developer. My relative has come to some arrangement with the developer and is moving into a one bed flat that he found for him. The house will be converted into 2 flats as it was a four bed with two big reception rooms. The value at auction was perhaps half what it should have been sold for. My relative who is retired and has epilepsy would seem to have lost nearly half a million pounds. What can we do now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A day has passed with no reply from justanswer.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

Have you contacted the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my relative still has to be persuaded to do something about it. He says it is too late. He seems to be no sort of fighter.

I would suggest that the first port of call be the police. Failing that, he needs to contact some solicitors ASAP.

It may be that an application for an injunction can be made but he will have to act quickly.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would the injunction actually be about? What would it say and who would it be against?
What is the position if my relative will not take any action? Could other members of the family go to the police on his behalf or even without his knowledge? It would seem that the developer is not actually guilty of anything although there does not appear to be any legal standing to the flat my relative has moved into.

The injunction would prevent any further action on the property.

Your relative would have to take action. No other family member could as they would not have had an interest in the property.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would happen next if we could persuade our relative to take out an injunction (which is not certain)?

If the injunction is granted, the court will prevent any further dealings with the property until a further order is made.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.