Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I had a new boiler fitted on the 2nd June costing £2,600

I had a new boiler fitted on the 2nd June costing £2,600 when first switched on it makes noise like a fog horn, I've had three visits from the installers & two from the manufactures who first fitted a new gas valve and then a new fan and still the problems not been sorted to my satisfaction. Can I ask the installers to remove it and replace it with one from another manufacturer.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Who did you purchase the boiler from? Is the issue caused by a fault in the boiler or a fault by the installer? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an Alpha boiler (new model) and it was installed by Gasway of Norwich. It is a fault with the boiler and not the installer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
purchased from Gasway.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. Your remedy is with Gasway as the seller. The relevant legislation is the Sale of Goods Act 1979 s14 - this is an implied term that goods are fit for purpose and of reasonable quality - this includes being free of minor defects. If Gasway have been given an opportunity to repair the boiler and it still does not work, then you are entitled to a replacement or refund. How did you pay for the goods? By credit card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid by cheque
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. If they refuse to replace the boiler or refund you, you would have consider taking them to the Small Claims Court. Have you written to them and explained your statutory right to a refund? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much, I've been in touch with Gasway and they are willing to talk to me about replacing with another. Thanks again.