chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have a French Passport (Born France) and have worked in

Customer Question

I have a French Passport (Born France) and have worked in the UK without interruption since 1978 (DOB 16/01/1954) - I have never requested a permanent residence permit based on EU legislation. In view of the results of referendum I would like to request a British Passport. Can I go straight to this request or do I have to request a permanent residence permit as a first stage ?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

You will be able to apply for naturalisation directly, however, as part of your application, you will need to show how you have met the requirements. This would mean that you would have to prove that you have been living in the UK for at least the last 5 years and exercising treaty rights. Therefore, the documents you would normally submit for the PR application, should be submitted as part of the naturalisation application.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,