How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34023
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can you assist me with my problem. I am a joint owner of a

Customer Question

Can you assist me with my problem. I am a joint owner of a property with my son. For many years he has been looking after me and taking care of all expenses in looking after the property including paying for the mortgage. This is due to my financial situation and my debts few years after the purchase of the joint property. I have agreed with my son that I did not want to have any interest in the property as he deserves the rewards from it. I want to legally give my son assurance that I will have no interest in the property. I am looking for a document that we can both sign which would be legally be binding. We don't want to involve ourselves with re mortgage issues as it would be impossible because of our financial situation. As mentioned earlier I have large debts which I am currently managing but do want any some one coming after the property to satisfy the debt as this would be very unfair to my son. I don't want the extreme situation of perhaps bankruptcy in the future due to my debt resulting in selling of the property which would be very unfair for my son.
Can you please advise and arrange for such a document .
Kind regards.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

May I ask how old you are?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Iam 54 years old
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Clare, Would be responding to my question today?
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

You can sign a Declaration of Trust stating that the property is held by both of you for the benefit of your son.

This can also be Registered at the Land Registry.

However if you go Bankrupt within the next five years then this will not stand as the Trustee in Bankruptcy has the power to set it aside and I am afraid that there is no way around this.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do we need a solicitor to draw up the Declaration of trust or can we do this ourselves?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also Clare, the bankruptcy, is that five years from the date registered at the Land registry?
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

A solicitor would be best - and yes five years from then

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Clare,
Can we make the Declaration of Trust ourselves and sign it?, Will it still be valid and effective if we don't register it OR does it have to be registered.
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

If you wish it to stand up in the event of a bankruptcy then yes you should get it prepared with a Solicitor and it must be registered

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Clare, is there a standard document I can use for this purpose, I am not concerned about the bankruptcy issue. Would you be able to draft this document for me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you reply to my question please.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions