1. Dear Jean, what you should do here is to get yourself a solicitor and get the solicitor to formally write to the builder and inform him that you will seek a mandatory injunction getting them to rectify the botched job they made of the manhole covers if they don't immediately carry out the remedial works. Essentially, you are going to have problems when rain comes or you flush your toilet and these manholes become blocked. Then you will have no way of remedying any problems arising. So, before the builder disappears on you, you need to get the problem rectified. You should employ a solicitor because this builder needs to know you mean business. I fear if you deal with the builder on your own, he will ride roughshod over you, as this is what he has done so far.
2. Ultimately, if the builder does not rectify the works, you can then go to court to force him to do them, or else, hire a different builder to unblock the manhole covers and keep the £500 due to this builder. However, be aware that a different builder might not be able to rectify it as well as the man who did the work. So you should first put pressure on this builder to do the work.
3. Be aware that if you do go to court, you will get an injunction of this nature for the asking. No judge will leave you with your manholes blocked. This is an absolute botched job. So the quicker you get it rectified or else go to court, the better.
4. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.
5. Another Expert will provide the Live Phone Call Service, as this Expert does not provide this service. However, please Rate the answer you have received, as otherwise, this Expert does not get paid for answering your question.