How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10527
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I was born in Spain but have lived in the UK years. I have

Resolved Question:

I was born in Spain but have lived in the UK for 57 years. I have Spanish Nationality and I am married to a British Citizen.
How complicated would or be for me to obtain British citizenship?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I need to do an English test and a Life in UK test even though I went to school in the UK and I am now 60 years old?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Under UK nationality law, you can obtain a British passport after five years living with your UK spouse in the UK. So you are perfectly entitled to apply today for British citizenship. So, it is accordingly, not complicated for you to obtain British citizenship. You already have fulfilled the requirements. However, even though you will apply directly for citizenship, you will need to undergo a Life in the UK test. I regret to say this requirement is necessary for all application obtaining citizenship by marriage. Here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out the requirements for you to undergo You will also find information and how to apply and the form for your application here as well.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you