Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

We took a bar and catering franchise at Severn motor yacht

Customer Question

We took a bar and catering franchise at Severn motor yacht club three months ago, which came with bungalow in return for security and cleaning if the club house. They then decided mr . Hatton (chef) was far too qualified and they wanted a cook and food from the freezer and cheap food to boot.
They then gave us 1 months notice which ended yesterday. They sent us a Solicitors letter to us as we had replied to their notice asking for removal costs as they should not have given us the franchise knowing the chefs qualities. We bought their bar and food stock off them , compulsory, also paid £1000 bond. They changed the front door lock to the club house when we wanted to secure the premises fully as we had to travel the country looking for another business. When I texted them yesterday saying we are ready for the stock take the reply came back , we are talking to our legal team, so nobody from the management will take over the premises, all of our belongings are now in storage, we have not received our bond and they have not purchased the stock. We slept on the floor of the bungalow last night and we are still in position of the club keys.
Mrs Hatton
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with This.

Is there a clause that allows them to terminate the housing please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if the contract ends. We are leaving the premises immaculate and we would like our bond £1000 and for them to purchase the stock of about £500
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of these sums within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The problem is
1. We are still in possession of the keys to the club and the bungalow
2. We do not want to be here
3. All our belongings are in storage 400miles away
4. We are not going to leave the premises without monies owed to us
5 the management will not come and see us despite their solicitor reiterating that we should have been gone yesterday but nobody from management turned up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi have you received my last respond
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Yes indeed. You should, hand the keys back and seek your money. Otherwise they can apply for a possession order and the judge may order you to pay those costs which you want to avoid.

If you hand back the keys and leave it does not stop you suing for what is rightfully yours.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You are only telling me what I already know, I thought you would write a letter or correspondence.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Sadly I can't be instructed. This is a question and answer site. I can only answer questions.

I am sorry. Is there anything else I can assist you with? If you want to draft a letter I can review it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Your advice is what I already know I was expecting more so on this occasion I am not happy paying the fee
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.