31090051

I have retracted a statement, given against my son, because

Customer Question

I have retracted a statement, given against my son, because he fought with my husband and did some damage in the house, while under the influence of drugs, we don't want to go ahead, but the police do, and the court has summoned us. What do I say in court? I don't want my son to be sentenced, as he will lose his job and go further downhill, he is now following drug treatment
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You can't retract your statement as you would run the risk of being prosecuted yourself for wasting police time. At the same time you can't not tell the truth in the witness box or you will be prosecuted for perjury. Your best course of action is to tell the truth in court but to tell the court about your son's difficulties and what is being done to sort them. As this incident was within the family the court is likely to dispose of the case in a sympathetic way which will allow your son to keep his job.