Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was fined in Republic of Ireland mobile phone when

Hi I was fined in Republic of Ireland for using mobile phone when driving. I have now received a letter stating I have incurred 3 penalty points. Can this be applied to my uk drivers licence?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Trace, mutual recognition of penalty points exists between Ireland and the UK. However, in practice, this merely means that an entry is created in Ireland, where if you accumulate additional penalty points, you can get disqualified from driving in Ireland. The actual enforcement of penalty points from Ireland in the UK has not yet occurred. The Irish penalty points won't add cumulatively onto your UK licence as if they were UK penalty points. So, the actual effect is negligible.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.