Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am married with the British man in 2005. And I would like

I am married with the British man in 2005. And I would like to be come British citizen .How can I get the British passport?Thanks
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I was born in 1956 in Romania . My father was Romanian man and my mother woman .I have met my husband in Romania in 2004 and in 2005 I have married with him. I would like to become British citizen .Many thanks
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. You can apply for UK citizenship after five years of marriage to a UK citizen during which you were residing in the UK. So, you are eligible to apply for citizenship. HOwever, it is a requirement of citizenship that you are able to show that you were living visa free in the UK for one year before your application. It is for this reason you need to have a Permanent Residence card for one year before you make your application. So, you will have to apply for a Permanent Residence card and hold it for a year before you will be able to successfully apply for a UK passport and citizenship. Here is a link to the UK Government website which explains how and why you get a Permanent Residence card https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-card

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Here is a link which explains the process of applying for UK citizenship where you are married to a UK citizen https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen. You see you will also have to pass a Life in the UK test as well as paying an application fee.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.