Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been living in uk since 2007.i have worked years and

hi.I have been living in uk since 2007.i have worked for 4 years and have p60 as proof.in 2011 I left work to have a baby.since then I didn't work as I had more babys.my husband is English and we are married for 4 years now.we don't claim benefits as he is on good wage.can I apply for permament residency even if I didn't work 5 years?Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add that I am polish
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also with the brexit is there any chance country could deport me back if I wont have permament residency.will I be protected since I have british husband and kids with him?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. The first thing you need to do here is to get a Permanent Residency card. You will need to have this for one year and then you can apply for UK citizenship. This will then solve all visa problems. Here is a link to where you can apply for a Permanent Residency on the UK Government website https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-card.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. For a Polish person married to a UK citizen, the rules are that you acquire citizenship after five years being married to the UK citizen being married and residing in the UK. HOwever, as part of your application, you need to show that you were visa free for a year before making your application. It is for this reason that you need either a Permanent Residence card or certificate. Then you can apply for citizenship. There is no need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain if you are polish. You can go straight to citizenship.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

s . Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it says ttat I have to proof I worked for 5 years and I haven't.can I feel safe being married to british person without worrying I will be deported after brexit
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

6. It doesn't say you have to prove you worked for five years. You can apply simply on the basis of marriage. The piece in the piece I have sent to you which mentions working does not apply to you. This is the path to citizenship which ensures you don't have to worry about getting deported. Get yourself a Permanent Residence card and then apply for citizenship after one year. Be aware that you should have private health insurance cover if you are not working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we both have life cover through the mortgage.will this be enough?so can I apply for permament residence now if I am married only 4 years?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

7. No, life cover is not health insurance. You need actual health insurance. Get health insurance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think I should worry about being deported even if I am married to british person and have kids together
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

8. You are worrying unnecessarily. There are millions in your position and they won't start deporting people. Some solution will be worked out whereby all these people, like yourself, will be offered a path towards citizenship. For you that is the way forward. It avoids any issues in the future. So start on the process today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need health insurance first before I apply for permament residency?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

9. No, you can apply for a Permanent Residence card without health insurance. but you will need it for citizenship.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

10. Dear Marlena, please rate the answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can my local solicitor help me with filling application or its not right department.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

11. Of course, getting a solicitor will help. However, you need to ensure the solicitor is experienced in immigration matters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.so can I apply today even if I am married only years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only 4 years?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

12. Dear Marlena, if you read my earlier answers, I made clear that you have to apply for permanent residence card and hold it for one year before you can make an application for citizenship. YOu cannot apply for citizenship today after four years of marriage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't mean citizenship.i meant permament residency.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

13. since 2006, Polish citizens no longer need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You simply apply for a Permanent Residence card. That is permanent residence for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.thank you for your answers.i will rate you now.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

14. You are welcome.