Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been living in uk since 2007.i have worked years and

hi.I have been living in uk since 2007.i have worked for 4 years and have p60 as proof.in 2011 I left work to have a baby.since then I didn't work as I had more babys.my husband is English and we are married for 4 years now.we don't claim benefits as he is on good wage.can I apply for permament residency even if I didn't work 5 years?Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I forgot to add that I am polish
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also with the brexit is there any chance country could deport me back if I wont have permament residency.will I be protected since I have british husband and kids with him?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.

1. The first thing you need to do here is to get a Permanent Residency card. You will need to have this for one year and then you can apply for UK citizenship. This will then solve all visa problems. Here is a link to where you can apply for a Permanent Residency on the UK Government website https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-card.

2. For a Polish person married to a UK citizen, the rules are that you acquire citizenship after five years being married to the UK citizen being married and residing in the UK. HOwever, as part of your application, you need to show that you were visa free for a year before making your application. It is for this reason that you need either a Permanent Residence card or certificate. Then you can apply for citizenship. There is no need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain if you are polish. You can go straight to citizenship.

s . Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but it says ttat I have to proof I worked for 5 years and I haven't.can I feel safe being married to british person without worrying I will be deported after brexit

6. It doesn't say you have to prove you worked for five years. You can apply simply on the basis of marriage. The piece in the piece I have sent to you which mentions working does not apply to you. This is the path to citizenship which ensures you don't have to worry about getting deported. Get yourself a Permanent Residence card and then apply for citizenship after one year. Be aware that you should have private health insurance cover if you are not working.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we both have life cover through the mortgage.will this be enough?so can I apply for permament residence now if I am married only 4 years?

7. No, life cover is not health insurance. You need actual health insurance. Get health insurance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do you think I should worry about being deported even if I am married to british person and have kids together

8. You are worrying unnecessarily. There are millions in your position and they won't start deporting people. Some solution will be worked out whereby all these people, like yourself, will be offered a path towards citizenship. For you that is the way forward. It avoids any issues in the future. So start on the process today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do I need health insurance first before I apply for permament residency?

9. No, you can apply for a Permanent Residence card without health insurance. but you will need it for citizenship.

10. Dear Marlena, please rate the answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can my local solicitor help me with filling application or its not right department.

11. Of course, getting a solicitor will help. However, you need to ensure the solicitor is experienced in immigration matters.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok.so can I apply today even if I am married only years?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
only 4 years?

12. Dear Marlena, if you read my earlier answers, I made clear that you have to apply for permanent residence card and hold it for one year before you can make an application for citizenship. YOu cannot apply for citizenship today after four years of marriage.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't mean citizenship.i meant permament residency.

13. since 2006, Polish citizens no longer need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You simply apply for a Permanent Residence card. That is permanent residence for you.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok.thank you for your answers.i will rate you now.

14. You are welcome.