75100385

Can a Head Teacher (UK) discipline my child even though I

Can a Head Teacher (UK) discipline my child even though I have given instructions for this not to be carried out as the matter in question wasn't resolved; I wrote to the governing body, they replied and I sent a further letter; at the same time I also instructed the Head Teacher that I didn't give my permission for detention to happen. The Head Teacher decided to be a bully and gave my child a detention. She told him he should contact me but he said he would email me after and threatened that if she walked out he would prevent her from doing work experience the following week. He also told her that he could do whatever he wanted and that parents can be fined and ended with "I can finally sleep well knowing that justice has been served".
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially I wanted to resolve the questions I raised in my complaint to the head and then the Governing Body, however the head has seen fit to carry out a ‘punishment’ regardless of my wishes so I would like to know if he has the legal authority to do this without my consent and is he allowed to threaten my child and essentially falsely imprison her by doing so or do I actually have some legal rights and can use the law against his bullying behaviour to prevent such cases in the future?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Is the school public funded?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a state school run by the local authority.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Then you can complain to the local authority. They can consider your complaint and report back to you.

If that does not work then you can complain to the local government ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint for free at www.lgo.org.uk

But follow this process and it should resolve the matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can he legally punish my child without my consent and do I have any legal recourse?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

yes you can sue and claim damages. But any claim would be less than £50,000 in damages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delayed response, a slow internet connection kept throwing me out. So can he legally punish my child without my consent? Also what type of solicitor do I need....a family one or is there a specific type of solicitor that deals with schools/education? Thanks Tina
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is Education law. You can find a local Solicitor here:

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Alex. Regards Tina
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

All the best Tina. Alex