Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My (British) passport says I'm a British Citizen, which I've

Hi there - my (British) passport says I'm a British Citizen, which I've been from birth. A grandparent was an Irish citizen (and still alive) when I was born. I can therefore start the process of applying for Irish citizenship, thereby acquiring dual citizenship and a long term EU passport.
After a long session with Google I haven't found any downside, or any significant foreseeable risk relating to future nationality, tax, pension, healthcare and so on by holding British/Irish dual citizenship. Is there anything I'm missing, and do I need to take professional legal advice before starting the process? Or am I pretty safe in doing this? If it's necessary, where would I look for a lawyer who can advise on this? Thanks, David
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, the first thing is that your own researches have been fruitful and are correct. You can apply for Irish citizenship by descent based upon your grandparent being born on the island of Ireland (North or South). Here is a link to the webpages of the Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service which explains how you apply for Irish citizenship based on your grandparent being born in Ireland http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/inis/pages/wp11000024. You will also be able to find the application forms referenced on this website as it is the authority you apply to for obtaining citizenship in Ireland.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. I would not advise you to get professional advice. Simply apply yourself. The greatest virtue you will need is patience as the Irish authorities can be quite slow. So allow about 9 months for the process. If your application lacks anything, the Irish authorities will request it from you. The Irish authorities don't have the approach of the UK Visas & Immigration which tend to reject applications as defective if something is missing. So do it yourself.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - helpful reassurance. On the main substance of my question I infer there aren't any major pitfalls in what I plan that would make it necessary to take professional advice. Correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually I see that you really answered that in your second response - thanks again.