Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a British citizen by birth; I am 70 years old. I have

I am a British citizen by birth; I am 70 years old. I have lived in France for sixteen years with my French partner, we have been together for 30 years and we have a daughter who is 15 years old. Can I get a British passport for my daughter? My daughter has my surname on her French birth certificate and she already has a French passport. What should I do to claim dual Nationality for her. If I take on French nationality will that effect my British nationality?
I thank you in anticipation that you can answer my questions.
Yours sincerely
John McCartney
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, the first thing to be aware is that both British and French law allow a person to have dual nationality. So, it is lawful under both French and British law to hold both French nationality and British nationality at the same time. So you cna hold both passports simultaneously. Additionally, it will not prejudice you or your daughter if you acquire French citizenship as well as having British citizenship. She can still apply for British citizenship by descent based on your British nationality.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Your daughter can apply for British citizenship by descent based upon you, her father, being a British national. Her eis a link to the page on the UK Government website which explains the situation and it also contains a link to the form you have to fill in to claim British citizenship for her https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/born-before-2006-british-father

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.