Ask a Law Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
1. Dear Chiara, you have received good advice. You need to apply for a Permanent Residence Permit as a f irst step in apply ing for UK citizenship, which will regularise your stay in the UK once the UK leaves the EU. Here is a link to the page of the UK Government website which explains how to apply for a permanent Residence card https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-card. You need to be able to show you were visa free for one year before you apply for UK citizenship so this is why you need a Permanent REsidence Card.
2. In one year's time, you can make your application for UK citizenship based on you living in the UK FOR five years. Be aware that both UK and Italian law recognise dual nationality. So, it is perfectly lawful under both UK law and Italian law (since 1992) to hold both British and Italian citizenship at the same time.
3. You can make the application for a Permanent Residence Card yourself. A solicitor can be approached, but there is no difficulty in doing it yourself. There is no income threshold, so don't worry about your income amounts. This is irrelevant.
4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.
5. You are misinformed. There are no income limits for EU citizens, only for British citizens. So, whoever told you this is not an immigration lawyer.
6. Additionally, you are applying for yourself, as you have been living for five years in the UK. Your application is not dependent upon any other person. Nor is it dependent upon their income or your income.
7. The important point is that you are not a burden on the state. No potential claimants for social welfare will be granted a Permanent Residence card. However, you don't need to show income of £18,600. These income thresholds would apply if you were a British person and you were taking in a spouse or such like from a nonEU country . Here, you already have the right to live and work in the UK AS YOU ARE AN EU national. So, stop getting confused and reading irrelevant articles. Simply apply for the Permanent Residence card and move on with things. You are your worst enemy reading irrelevant articles.