F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I LIVE IN PORTUGAL WITH A RESIDENCY. I MARRIED IN MAY 2013.

I LIVE IN PORTUGAL WITH A RESIDENCY. I MARRIED IN MAY 2013. MY PASSPORT IS DUE FOR RENEWAL. AM I ALOUD TO USE MY PREVIOUS NAME WHICH IS ON MY CURRENT PASSPORT, OR DO I HAVE TO CHANGE TO MY MARRIED NAME. I HAVE A BUSINESS IN PORTUGAL AND A CHANGE OF NAME COULD CAUSE COMPLICATIONS ON THE PAPERWORK
REGARDS ***** *****
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean a British passport? Which name would you prefer to use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a british passport, expired 16th june 2016, all papers here in Portugal including business and bank accounts are in the same name as my passport. not in my married name from may 2013. can I keep my original passport name when I renew it. Do I need to declare that I have re-married
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as a british citizen I am often asked for my passport as identification, I am worried a change of name on the passport may cause me difficulties, particularly with the business
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing to stop you keeping your married name. Many professional people including teachers and solicitors keep their maiden name.

In fact, if you decided to change to your married name, you could always go back to your maiden name in the future.

The government have website: https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/overview

which explains a little more detail.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I will check out what you are informing me, if I run into difficulties I will contact you. I need to apply on line for my renewal, originally the questions didn't seem to apply to what I wanted to do, will have another look. Regards Janet