F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Separated 16yrs,not divorced am I still next of kin? No1 son

Separated 16yrs,not divorced am I still next of kin? No1 son is thinking of getting wife to appoint him power of attorney in case of sickness.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that your son is suggesting that your estranged wife should give him power of attorney over her affairs?

Are you okay with that?

What exactly is it that you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not happy that it could be precedent to advising her to go into care which w ould selling the house .!she is very easily turned by him. He is also her executor .possible conflict of interest!
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

She is entitled to appoint whoever she likes to have power of attorney over her affairs and if you think that he is not acting in her best interest, you can object to the Court of Protection/Office of the Public Guardian. To have him removed the if the power has not yet been granted, object to it being granted.

It would be worthwhile telling him that if he does apply, you will file an objection. Here is the process.

https://www.gov.uk/object-registration/lasting-power

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.

FES.