chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I recently asked about licenced fabric and making items to

Customer Question

I recently asked about licenced fabric and making items to sell from that and was happy with the response. Could I additionally ask, if the fabric manufacturing states on the selvage of the fabric for home use only is that enforceable? As the supply is not a 'finished product' i.e. the purchaser has to do something with it to make it a useable item, can they stipulate what can or cannot be done with the product once they have sold it? In most cases the fabric will have changed hands at least twice before finding its way to the person on the street.My question then also applies to sewing/knitting patterns, can the person who sold the pattern (if they are the person who designed it they have no input in the fabric/yarn or the work to make the finished product) stipulate that the finished items cannot be sold?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

From a copyright perspective, yes they could, however, how this would be enforced is anyone's guess.

Unless the finished item was being sold in retail or through commercial channels, I would suggest that it would be extremely difficult to enforce.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards