chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I was sub letting a garage and the owner sold the property

I was sub letting a garage and the owner sold the property with out my knowledge.
My car I was storing in there was taking away by repo as the management company instructed clearence of the property.
The car is in my name with the dvla and is not the property of the owner of the house.
The repo company then sold my car without the v5 and now to get my car back I ha e to pay the man who brought it from the repo company.
In the time the man has had my car he has spent money on restoring the car and is demanding I pay for the money he has spent plus what he paid for the car.
I'm wondering were I stand legally?
Do I have to buy my car back as the legal owner or has he rights for ownership of the car?
Who's at fault here for not looking into who owned the car before moving it?
Stefan
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

Your claim is against the report company, not the end buyer.

Therefore, Unfortunately, you will have to pay to obtain the return of your vehicle and issue proceedings against the report company for any losses you have suffered.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.
So the report company is the management company tasked with setting up removal of goods?
Did they need to do more investigation into who's car it was before they gave the order to move it?

They should do have asked the person responsible for the debt who owned the items

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if he didn't respond to there letters? If letters had been sent as I don't know that stage of it

You should contact the company providing evidence of the ownership. You should also ask them to compensate you for the costs incurred. If they fail to agree, you will have to litigate. You can do this online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou