31090051

I have am a ghost writer with a contract to write a book

Customer Question

Hi I have am a ghost writer with a contract to write a book for a woman in Scotland. The contract is written in Scottish law. this woman's behaviour has been appalling- missed schedules, refusal to discuss a sensible modus operandi, changing story lines that have been agreed and signed off on -to such an extend that I now feel I cannot and will not continue. I have a huge email thread that proves her terrible behaviour, I have consistently delivered on time and now I frankly want out. Might she have any recourse under Scottish law to claim back the advance she paid me (£3,500) or indeed do I have any recourse to claim the fee that is outstanding on completion (£3000).
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I am a solicitor in Scotland. Subject to anything the contract might say about breaching it, if one party isn't doing what they are supposed to to the extent that performance by the other of their obligations, ie, your obligation to write the book and her obligation to pay you, you would have an action for damages for your losses, in other words your right to a fee. So yes, it is possible that you could walk away and sue her for your fee one basis that she made it impossible for you to write the book. Always look at the contact, however.