ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

My 13 year old granddaughter is subject to child protection

My 13 year old granddaughter is subject to child protection order due to emotional abuse after a report from a nurse in the children's ward (granddaughter was under investigation for epilepsy) reported her as possibly depressed due to relationship with mother and ''ticks. Children department did a section 47 investigation and placed her under a child protection order. During time in hospital epilepsy was ruled out but a low grade brain tumour was diagnosed. Children's department have never taken account of the illness and not offered any emotional or practical support to daughter or granddaughter to cope with the illness. Protection plan focuses on behaviour of child and school attendance. Children's services have never spoken with daughter for permission to review medical records or spoken with any medical staff. Granddaughter is undergoing surgery on 1 July but Children's department do not seem to recognise she will be in hospital and subject to at least a 6 weeks recovery. My daughter has written to Children's department asking them to be less aggressive but not had any responses. Where can she go from here?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- is your granddaughter still living with your daughter?

- when is the next child protection review?

Kind Regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she is still with daughter. Next core meeting is 6 July and Review meeting originally scheduled for 8 July but Children services want it changed to 19 July. Daughter advised this date not convenient as she has no one to sit with daughter who will still be recovering from operation ( Myself and wife will be visiting week of 3-9th so meetings were convenient as we could sit). She did advise she would be quite happy to have meeting at her home but no reply to date
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Daughter lives on IOW and operation will be in Southampton. I live in Yorkshire
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Attached is copy of chairperson conclusion on medical condition. Granddaughter was fully aware she had a tumour as it had been explained by doctor and she had been shown MRI scan. Children services had not contacted any medical staff as part of its investigation for conference other than nurses on ward

Thank you for confirming this for me.

This sounds like a very distressing time for your family and I do hope your granddaughter makes a speedy recovery.

It seems only reasonable that the meeting should moved to a different date if your daughter cant attend due to the her daughters hospitalisation. I would continue to press with the social worker for this to be adjourned. If no response is received from the social worker then contacting their office and asking for the team manager is advisable.

A child protection plan is one that is voted for by all the professionals. It is the plan that incorporates what work that your daughter needs to undertake and also the support that the local authority will offer the family. It seems right that whilst your granddaughter is recuperating that the local authority should be understanding of the position. The local authority would balance such a decision in light of any likelihood of harm but given the circumstances they are likely to be sympathetic.

The only way to successfully be removed from a CPP is by decision of the professionals. It is important that if your daughter considers that the appropriate care plan is in place to provide the support needed for this to happen. If your daughter feels that this is not the case then the appropriate forum to raise this is within the next review meeting.

Your daughter has to balance that the professionals have voted for the plan and therefore it is important that she engages with the plan so as to avoid the escalation of the matter by the local authority. That being said – whilst your granddaughter is hospitalised the progress of any plan will be limited.

I appreciate that matters are frustrating right now given the circumstances but it is important that the plan is complied with so as to avoid any escalation. It is not possible to remove the plan with the professionals consensus. I do consider that a reassuring chat with the social work manager prior to the admission would be a positive thing. Then for the concerns to be voiced at the next review meeting.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Just seen your attachment.

Does your daughter accept that she has spoken about cancer in front of your granddaughter? If she does - its not unreasonable for this to be in the plan as it would worry a child to hear such words being said.

I do have every sympathy as this must be a very difficult time.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only time the word cancer was mentioned was by granddaughter which was her first question to doctor when she explained about the tumour which was on 16 April. The doctor explained it definitely was not cancer otherwise she would have been airlifted to Southampton. From that time on we all knew it was benign. My daughter is complying with plan fully but we do feel that the social services have not been diligent in their investigation about the medical side. However it would appear that as always they are fireproof and it will do no good raising this with them.

It’s a real balancing act when children social care are involved.

The plan is voted by professionals which gives it real weight.

You know that your daughter is not going to breach that part of the plan in respect of using the word cancer.

The problem you have is that if the LA believe there is no compliance with a plan then they could seek to issue care proceedings. This is really to be avoided at all costs.

This doesn’t mean that concerns cannot be voiced – but this needs to be handled in a manner that does not communicate non compliance but an approach of being in your granddaughters best interest. That cant be criticised.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to star rate our service

ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Caroline
Thank you for the help it is as I thought but felt it was worth spending the money to confirm the situation. Will advise my daughter to tell the chairperson that granddaughter has had her tonsils removed as she is not allowed to use the word Tumour sorry just being flippant.I will rate you as excellent

Bless you for your kind comments.

I would have liked to have been able to give you different information but its so tricky in these situations not to make the situation worse even with the best intentions.

I do wish you all the best and all the best to your granddaughter for a speedy recovery.

Kind Regards

Caroline