75100385

How to claim my deposit back on rent when the private

Dear Sir or Madam,
How to claim my deposit back on rent when the private kandlord witheld my signed copy of letting agreement and his business is illegal because he doesn t have any form of deposit scheme which is legally obligatory in the UK. I am not even sure whether it was legally classified share house ( there were no fire alarms in rooms etc.) I have 2 witnesses who lived in other rooms as my neighbours at this time.
Many Thanks for Your early reply.
Yours faithfully,
Marketa Filipova
***@******.***
tel.: ***********
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is owing please?
ALex

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
163; 340,-
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Indeed if your deposit was NOT protected you are entitled to claim x3 the deposit back as permitted by law.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your professional help!! Can i report him as well for his illegal business? He owes me deposit since September last year. He even discriminates in the way he doesn t give me key of the bedroom as others. However, problem is he witheld my letting agreement which was signed! But i ve copy on my tablet. I have witnesses who lived in the same property with me.
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

Yes you can report him to the Council as well.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You mean Borough Council? And a year gap isn t a problem to claim money back?
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

A year is fine, you have 6 years. Your local Council yes.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His behavior was very obusive and antisocial when i was leaving. Can i report that as well? But u didn t still answer about contract, i signed it and he doesn t want to give me my copy back with terms&regulations.
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

Yes you can report this as well. There is no law about giving you a copy back, but you can request this and they must provide it within 40 days.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn t trust this website but the answers are beyond my expectations! an i report in my losses psychological abuse as well or is it another category of law?? He wanted to call the police and deported me from the house without reason i paid rent regularly. Can i claim the signed copy in the letter and by law he must give me within 40 days?
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

You wont get a claim for that sort of abuse. You want to claim back your deposit and x3 which is what you are entitled to.

You can ask for a copy of the agreement and yes this must be provided within 40 days.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It means £ 340 x 3 ?? I ve to write a polite letter to landlord to claim my signed copy and claim for money at the same time??
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

Correct.

Does that help? Alex

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Which article of law i can cite?
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

Housing Act 2004.

Does that clarify?
ALex

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How long is our time limit for online appointment, please?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is the copy of your responses on my email, pls?
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

Once you rate my answer you can come back to the question at any time.

But its one question per thread, so I can clarify issues related to this question only,.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do you have any real office not just online? And how much does the appointment cost face2face?
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

No, this is a question and answer site. The company is based in the USA although I and others are UK Solicitors.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Aha,thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If he denies that i signed contract and doesn t want to give me? He has my signed copy for sure!! But he doesn t want to give me back copy with his signature as landlord and mine like tenant!
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.

But it doesn't matter - you can take him to Court for x3 the deposit as we have previously discussed.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
However, he can deny i ve ever lived at his property! But i have witnesses i really lived! And even i got a post at this address with my name.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To prove he received my deposit, he just signed a sheet of paper by hand but no confirmation by e-mail by deposit scheme.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do i have to rate you now?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for excellent service! Bye.