Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Being investigated of sensitive strategic information but I

Being investigated for release of sensitive strategic information but I thought it was already public knowledge within the factory. What would be my strategy to defend my positon ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 years
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

Can you explain the background to you releasing this information? Are you saying the party you gave it to had access to it by other (public) means in any event?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not in a written for but previously the company had stated that a second factory would sell into one world region and we (uk) would support rest of world. I cannot deny what I said but the individual who was a temperature member of staff may have joined more dots up and raised his concerns over his job security. As yet to attend investigation meeting due Friday I do not know the actual words I have supposed to have used
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This event took place may 27th
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

Is the fact you said the words likely to cause the company damage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably just letting a business secret out earlier than planned and may be currently embarrassing to my boss when he is currently under pressure to balance financials vs variable labour costs etc
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

ok but not likely to cause financial harm, did you know what you were doing could cause a problem/ embarrassment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just thought team members new more than they did and could see internally evidence of change of manufacturing practice. Just feeling should I just claim ignorance and a very big sorry or do you think with the financial concerns they may take an option to remove me and salary burden ? Feel frustrated that I was a little too open but just a mistake ! Also is it typical to to respond almost a month later than event
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** that your best strategy is to say you are sorry but you made a mistake thinking that the fact was known to the team. In order for something to amount to gross misconduct there would normally have to be a deliberate intention to cause harm to the business or not caring that the harm could be caused. In the circumstances you describe where only embarrasment to a manager is caused I do not think it would be reasonable for you to be dismissed and that you would have grounds to appeal and potentially claim unfair dismissal.

There should not normally be any delay in investigating so you can raise this with the employer as well.

If you have any further questions please do ask. Otherwise please do take the time to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jenny ��
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.

no problem all the best with it. I do hope it turns out well for you. I would be very grateful if you would be so kind to rate my answer before leaving the site otherwise I am not credited for answering your question. Thank you very much and do come back to me in the future if you need to.