propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I recently moved into a property which I privately rent.

Hi, I recently moved into a property which I privately rent. This was arranged through a letting agent. On moving into the property we found it to be excessively dirty, particularly in the kitchen area which took me 2 days to clean thoroughly. The rest of the property is generally dirty but not as bad. I contacted the letting agent to request a reduction in my first month's rent and for the remainder of the property to be professionally cleaned as I would have expected this to have been done prior to letting. The letting agent contacted the landlord and he has declined both. I'm wondering if I have any rights/where to go next with this problem as my initial tenancy agreement is for 6 months
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jill

Was there an inventory stating the condition if the property?

Did you take photos to record as evidence the state of cleanliness when touch moved in?

It is difficult to claim unless the AST specifically states the property will be cleaned prior to commencement.

Sadly, there is bound to be a clause in your AST requiring you to clean and keep clean the property throughout and at the end of the term.

Generally, you cannot deduct sums from rent. If you do the landlord can just recover the sums out of any deposit monies and use it against you as a reason for terminating the tenancy.

It is unsatisfactory and unreasonable but there are no rules that state the property must be clean. The only chance you have is if there is a contractual provision requiring the property to be clean but then how do you quantify your loss. If you hired a cleaner you could potentially claim for the cleaning fee if the landlord / agent has breached a contractual term.

In summary, unless there is a contractual term which the landlord has breached resulting in financial loss then there is, sadly, little that you xan do.

Do you have any further questions relating to my reply?

Please accept / rate and I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind regards, Paul

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, yes there was a very detailed inventory which wasn't really very good when we started checking it through. I have lots of photos which I provided of the dirt etc