A while ago I lost my brother and just before he died, the

Customer Question

Good morning. A while ago I lost my brother and just before he died, the complete contents of his house were moved into storage by a removals company. As it was them who packed and moved his stuff, the storage unit was in their name. I paid them, they paid the storage facility. I went and started to sort through the stuff late last year and then didn't get another chance until about May of this year. However, when I rang the removal company to arrange another visit (i.e. access) they informed me that the stuff had been moved. This alone seems highly improper but it gets worse as, after a lot of hassle, they agreed to move the stuff back to the original storage facility (they had moved it about another 2 hours further away from me). When I moved the stuff back in yesterday, I discovered that about half of it is missing including (and most importantly as it's a hobby we jointly shared and had collected together for 40 years) his comic book collection.
I really need help with as his possessions are the last link to my brother.
I'd appreciate any help / advice you can give me.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

Hello Grant my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you have an inventory of what should be there please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Alex,
No, one of the (many) problems I have with this is that we can't find a copy of the inventory in my brothers' paperwork and the removal firm claim to have lost their original (which doesn't look good on them). They sent me an inventory of the stuff after it had been moved to the new location but it was so vague that it's pretty much useless and having re-read it today, it looks like a lot of stuff was already missing by then. I know the comic collection was in the original storage unit as I visited it a couple of times and started to sort it out. The useless 'late' inventory mentions 30 boxes, which I assumed were the comic boxes, but not a single one turned up yesterday.
As further evidence of how negligent they've been, although there was much missing from my brothers possessions, they did manage to deliver a huge box containing photograph albums belonging to someone else, and a box containing two odd lamps with black lampshades which were also not my brothers.
The useless inventory also mentions a rucksack which turned out not to be there and the longer I sit and think about what should have been in the storage unit, the more I remember, from his skis and a carved wooden head to his 'office' desk.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Really you need to itemise and particularise your loss as best you can.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi again,
I'm aware that taking them to court is an option but without an inventory, what are my chances?
Also, legally, aren't the removal company bound to have an inventory for any goods /possessions under their care for insurance purposes ?
Further, it was my understanding that although the storage unit was in their name, they should not have entered it without my knowledge / permission. What is the legality of them not only entering the unit but indeed moving all of the goods to another site without any notification whatsoever ? (This only came to light when I rang them to arrange access to continue sorting the stuff out and was told it was no longer there !) They had not only my telephone number and e-mail address but also my mothers telephone number as they had dealt with us both on several occasions with regard to my brothers unit.
What I'm looking for is help with how negligently / illegally they have acted in regard to my brothers possessions, particularly re. the lack of inventory on file and moving all of the stuff to another much less convenient location with no warning at all.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

They can not move goods without permission. You can estimate a value.

Thats all you can do, if they have breached their contract and been negligent then all you can do is seek a Court order and be repaid in damages.

Does that clarify Grant?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about the lack of them having a copy of the inventory ?
Surely, legally they should have one for just this sort of eventuality ?
Expert:  Ash replied 3 months ago.

There is no law which says they must have one.

Its just good business sense.

Does that clarify? Alex