75100385

I have currently been a director of ALS years and due to a

I have currently been a director of ALS for 7 years and due to a conflict within the two remaining directors myself and Pete, we have decided to split.
We are both 50% shareholders and the business is doing well. I have agreed to sell my shares to him for £80,000 (£60,000 cash and £20,000 in the form of a vehicle) allowing him to keep the current business and staff etc.
Although I have agreed to this he has stated that any monies taken from now until the sale be taken from my shares. We have already had £6,700 taken as dividends which would be deducted from the sale and now I feel he is dragging his feet to see future payments dilute my shares.
Am I able to resign my position of director but keep my share of 50% of ALS and start a new business on my own as a conflicting but non-threatening venture? I need to make an income as I cannot continue with the current situation and see it as totally unfair as he could take his time on the deal until my share are worth nothing as I would have had the money in advance.
I would appreciate your advice.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you have a Director or shareholder agreement in place please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No agreements
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok then yes you can resign and you will always remain a shareholder unless you sell your shares.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As im due to sell my shares to the other party for an agreed sum (not in writing) could this cause a conflict with the sale
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

No. It makes no difference whatsoever unless its conditional upon you remaining a Director.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can basically resign and keep my shares, set up a new venture and still have a say in the business?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need to give notice or can it be immediate
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct. You should only give notice if that was agreed. But to be fair its only proper to give notice anyway.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my partner is buying me out but taking all dividends taken until the sale as a reduction in the share. surely i would be better off resigning orbut what happens if he changes his mind on the sale?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

It's a matter for you. I can only say what the legal options are. But as you say it may focus his attention

Does that clarify? Alex