Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My draft consent order has been submitted to court and is

My draft consent order has been submitted to court and is awaiting approval prior to the Decree Absolute being granted. Today my wife has told me she may lose her job andwants to halt everything.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. As the consent order has been submitted to court and agreement reached between you, it is for the court to decide whether it is a fair settlement and despite her change in circumstances if the arrangements are fair and the court approve the consent order then the settlement will be binding.

However, if the change of circumstances was entirely unexpected and undermines the court order then she may have grounds to make what is called a Barder application to have the agreement reconsidered. I note that you have stated that she may lose her job which would unlikely be grounds to apply to have the settlement reconsidered.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.