JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

My husband foolishly purchased 2 tickets last August (2015)

My husband foolishly purchased 2 tickets last August (2015) for an Andre Rieu concert in Maastricht, Netherland on the internet through a company called Onlineticketshop. He paid 698 euros for the 2 tickets but when they arrived this week (the concert is the weekend of the 8th July) the face value of the tickets is 95 euros each. When questioned the company stated that they paid more than the face value of the tickets and therefore that cost was passed onto us. Unfortunately, the website my husband used was in Dutch (but they are now communicating in English). Is there anything we can do to retrieve the gross overpayment?
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.

I am a barrister. I used to work for the Financial Ombudsman Service. I can help with this.

Did you make the purchase using a credit or debit card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a credit card.
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.

That's good. This means you can make a claim against your credit card provider just as if it was the supplier i.e. the ticket company. Your credit card company might try and say you need to first go through a claim procedure with the supplier - this is not true.

In relation to the substantive claim, without seeing the documents, I cannot advise whether there has been a breach of contract or not. I would say, initially, the over charge, is in itself not grounds which I would consider hugely valid.

However, what I recommend you do is contact your credit card company, if they do not refund. Refer the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service. It is free and your case comes within their jurisdiction. If they assess your claim as valid, they will order the credit card company to make a refund.

If this answers your question please press accept, if you require further clarification please ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Accept and thank you.
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.

Can you press the accept button please, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find an accept button.
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.