F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My landlord is carrying out major disrepair work at the

Customer Question

My landlord is carrying out major disrepair work at the property. He told me that there will be no toilet or cooking facilities during that period. Can I stand my ground and insist that I am rehoused for that period of time of around three weeks. Does the law stand by me.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the landlord does not have to provide you with alternative accommodation if the property is not habitable while the repairs are done. Here you will get a second opinion from Citizens Advice. You will note that you may get housing benefit depending on your circumstances. Although it says that you may have to pay rent while you are out of the property, it would not be unreasonable for you to claim that back from the landlord.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/moving-out-while-repairs-are-done/moving-out-while-repair-work-is-being-done/

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.

FES.