F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I've not been paying accommodation rates on site even though

Customer Question

I've not been paying accommodation rates for living on site even though I was made aware I had to and they have been detected from my final pay is this right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please I've been left with no final wage is it right to take all my rent in one go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Deducted not detected, apparently they were missed due to a clerical error
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

When you say that this has been deducted from your final pay, are you leaving?

Does it say in your contract that they are allowed to deduct this?

It does not say in your contract that they are allowed to deduct this, they are not allowed to deduct it.

If there is no contract, then they are not allowed to deduct it.

That doesn’t mean that you don’t have to repay it but they are not allowed to deduct it.

If they have done, without agreement, then it’s unlawful deduction from wages which you should refer to HMRC who strangely enough deal with unlawful deduction from wages although you can also go to the Small Claims Court (which is not particularly quick) or the Employment Tribunal.

Of the threat of that is not enough to make them pay you, then you are faced with dealing with it formally but unfortunately, there is no mechanism in place to get this resolved in a very short span of time.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.

FES