chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

The company (sports and awards supplier) I was employed with

The company (sports and awards supplier) I was employed with ceased trading and I had left to begin my own firm. The company in question still has active - proposal to strike off - status.
Leading to the above, the owners had extracted all the funds and owed much monies to various suppliers and other parties, including to the owner of a lease agreement for property rent that also fell through.
This owner recently contacted me to say there were various awards left there and was i interested in taking them. I was interested, but through the correct means. Two days later, they contact me and say they have sold them to another buyer.
Now, isn't this still the old company's property and not allowed? I could really do with buying those goods in the correct way if I can.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

If the landlord is owed rent by the leaseholder and leaves the premises with goods remaining, the landlord has the right to sell the goods and keep the proceeds towards monies owed to them. The landlord would appear to have a lien over the items until such time as their rent has been paid in full. In addition, the landlord would be entitled to charge a reasonable fee for storage of the items.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,