Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My ex partner & my self have sold a flat we owned jointly he

Customer Question

My ex partner & my self have sold a flat we owned jointly he is now saying he hasn't the money to pay half of the solicitor bill which is £6000 pounds but expects me to pay it all the solicitor says he can not proceed any further until the bill is paid this is holding up the sale going through please help
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. How much equity is in the property nd is the solicitor jointly instructed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no equity yes the solicitor has been jointly instructed
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. As you are jointly instructing the solicitors you will need to check their terms and conditions on how this will be settled - it would be usual that if the bill remains unpaid the solicitors will pursue a claim against both of you to recover the costs. Furthermore, as it is a jointly owned property it would be expected that he would share the costs of sale and if you are left to pay for it all then you will have grounds to pursue a claim in the small claims court here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.