29905560

Can I voluntar work with less then11 hour rest break between

Customer Question

Can I voluntar work with less then11 hour rest break between shifts, am I required to then take extra rest?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Do you mean that you are happy to work hours which give you less than the 11 hours rest you are due and not take extra rest to compensate for this? Also what type of work do you do?

Please note I am going offline shortly and am in tribunal tomorrow so may not be able to reply until later int he day, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My normal shift gives 12 hour rest break, I volunteered to work overtime until 10pm, my start time the very next day was 7am. And I finished at 7pm.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. It is entirely possible for you to volunteer to work hours which give you less than the usual rest time allowed by law. However, the employer does not have to approve it and if they wanted to they could refuse to allow you to do these hours. Also the 11 hour rest period is not strictly applied in a sense that if it is not possible to allow you to have such a rest period you should simply be allowed to compensate for the rest later on. However, you also do not have to take compensatory rest and if you wanted to you could agree to work hours which give you less than the legal rest and do not allow for compensatory rest. However, as mentioned the employer can refuse to allow that if they believe there may be health and safety implications.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.