13262538

If someone leaves goods and possessions - i.e. china and

Customer Question

If someone leaves goods and possessions - i.e. china and silver - for you to look after. No rent paid and nothing in writing - for 5 1/2 years - can you claim ownership?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What contact have you made with this person to secure collection?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owner was my husband's cousin's widow. I was asked to clear her flat when she went into a care home, which I did and brought back a lot of things which have since been stored at my house. The lady has now died and her executor/ PoA is now in charge. He hasn't asked for anything to be returned - but what I need to know - has he any right to get the things back to sell. I have had them for 5 1/2 years. No paperwork or rent. Is there a time limit before they become my possessions?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to look at this for you

I am afraid that no you have no claim on these items despite having cared for them for so long.

You should ask the Executor if he wishes to have the items back.

In fact you can notify him that unless he collects the items within a set period of time you will arrange for them to be sold and forward the money to him

You can deduct the costs of sale.

Please ask if you need further details