12826847

Please can you advise me about 10 years ago in 2006 I was

Please can you advise me about 10 years ago in 2006 I was sent a traffic notice ticket for speeding just 7 miles over the 30 miles per limit in place on the road and I completed it by stating the driver was my friend who did agree to take the 3 points however he did not do so as he was never contacted by the traffic unit for that 3 points. It has racked me with guilt as I am a father who tries to teach my children not to do wrong however inside I know I am a hypocrite due to the offence I made 10yrs previous. Recently I have seen a lot of stories of people in the news of being put in prison for lying about who was driving the car when receiving a speeding ticket. I have had a few sleep less nights recently thinking am I going to get a knock on the door by the police regarding the ticket 10yrs ago and what do i say to my children please can you help me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i still be prosecuted even though the offence I did was 10yrs ago is there a statue of limitation
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If you mean for perverting then you could. That is not subject to limitation. It is an indictable only offence so there are no time limits.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The reality is that the older the offence the less likely they are to turn their mind to it but they could.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my cousin died 5yrs ago so there was no one apart from him and myself privy to the conversation that happened 10yrs ago I thought that to be charged with perverting then my cousin would have to be available to prove otherwise
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, possibly.

That doesn't mean they cannot.

It just means you would be disadvantaged because you couldn't call him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it is my last question and thank you for your advice but how could it be proved that i lied if they police cannot prove that i lied if my cousin has died and therefore cannot say that he was not driving the car that day
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, there could be lots of ways of doing that.

The most common way is receiving an allegation from another person to that effect.

Another is having the images blown up although they are not going to do that on a whim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thankyou very much for your help and it has not made me feel any better but maybe that is just my guilty conscious of being so stupid years ago, thank you again and i will rate your advise have a good week, bye