Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Went on holiday, came back to discover that a series of cash

Customer Question

Went on holiday , came back to discover that a series of cash withdrawals made from my bank account ;approached bank with evidence that withdrawals not made by me , ask bank to provide me with details and time of withdrawals ; bank only provides dates but unable to provide time of with drawals bank account -have rather referred the matter to ombudsman for arbitration .E-mail address -edwardmartinson @yahoo .co.uk
***** *****son -
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you reported this to HSBC as fraud on your account? If you have referred this to the FOS have HSBC refused your complaint? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AJ; have already sent a fraud complaint to HSBC with details of my bank statement identifying fraudulent transactions and requesting details of dates and time of withdrawals ;HSBC response as follows-received a letter stating they have enclosed dates but this assertion was incorrect there was no listed dates of transactions and said they were unable to confirm time of withdrawals as they were attempted overseas ; they rather wish me to contact them on the phone to discuss the matter or have suggested I contact the Financial Ombudsman Service ;I find their approach rather of concern because there have been no investigative review of my complaint neither were they able to provide me the TIME AND DATES in their correspondence ; would therefore seek some advice before talking to them on the phone or making contact with the FOS Frankly I do not wish to speak to them as people tell me they can unhelpful on the phone .- ANY ADVICE
Edward
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. They are right to refer you to the FoS, because the FoS service is inexpensive and they can order the bank to repay you. That said, the fact that they will not address this in writing is concerning. All retail banks are subject to customer charters to treat consumers fairly, you have raised a fraud issue and they are refusing to correspond in writing or acknowledge your complaint. What I suggest you do is write to them and say:

(i) You have raised a fraud complaint;

(ii) By refusing to acknowledge or investigate the fraud they are prejudicing you as a consumer and not treating you fairly;

(iii) Say if they do not respond to your complaint in full within 7 days, you will complain to their regulator - Financial Conduct Authority.

Quite simply if they refuse to correspond with you, there is not much more you can do other than contact FoS and seek compensation. I would consider changing banks as well - this will demonstrate that you have lost faith in the bank as a service. Kind regards AJ