JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

I have been charged with gbh section 20 without intent,

Customer Question

I have been charged with gbh section 20 without intent, going to court in 2 weeks, the reason behind it is that a person was racist towards me (several times, calling me names because i am Greek) and I punched him causing him nose damage, i have never been convicted before and i admitted my action to the police, what am I to expect in the Magistrates court were i was asked to appear.
Paul
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.

I'm a criminal defence barrister. I can help.

Tell me exactly what you told the police? Did you have a lawyer at the police station?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi! I did not have a lawyer in the police station and I told the police that i punched him after he was racists towards me, there were witnesses also, the case went to CPS and now I am charged with the above (Magistrates Court)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The person was drunk and was provoking me all evening, so here we are
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.

Hmm... you might have some problems. I say this because provocation is not a defence. Are you sure you cannot say that you feared for your safety and were acting in self-defence?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I might be able to because he has been very drunk and was always trying it on me but CCTV not present but witnesses were there, so it might worth a try but I did admit it in the police, worst case scenario, first offence!! what can the sentence be?
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.

S.20 is quite serious, it is grievous bodily harm without intent (s.18 is with intent, so alot more serious). If you have a trial it will be dealt with in the crown court. What are the injuries?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have a trial and it is in Magistrates court, the injuries are nose bleed and a nose scar
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been charged for Wound/Inflict gah without intent
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
gbh sorry
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.

The guidelines (page 7) will give you a sentence indication (dowload the definitive sentencing guidelines, easy to find on google).

Even if you're found guilty I very much doubt you will go to prison as you have no previous convictions. I say this because if you do get a prison sentence I am strongly of the view it would be suspended (you only go to prison if you commit another offence within the period of suspension).

If this answers your question please press accept, if you require clarification please ask.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** can not see the accept nor I can not rate, page does not work on Macs properly ?Thanks
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.

Do you accept my answer? It should be a green button on the screen.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do accept the answer !!! and I would like to Rate as 5 stars but there is no green button.
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.

Are you sure there is no way to press accept?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is not on my screen!! Only adds, I will try with a PC
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am on a PC, there is no accept button
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No way, there is only call me adds for better service etc, I am on 2 computers and an I phone, no indication of accepting what so ever. I called the customer service but they say out of hrs,
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 5 months ago.