13262538

Would the ECHR apply to the UK if we Brexit?

Customer Question

Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

This would still need to be negotiated and it would be difficult to second guess until the UK has invoked the Article 50 rights.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

This is yet another of many misconceptions about the EU and Brexit.

The European Court of Human Rights is NOT part of our membership of the EU and accordingly invoking Article 50 will NOT lead to any withdrawal

Whether any future Government would wish to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights (which even Russia is now a signatory to) will be a matter of (one hopes) informed debate