12826847

Is a slander uttered by an official of a private member's

Is a slander uttered by an official of a private member's club, acting in that capacity on the premises of the club, actionable against the club or merely against the individual concerned
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Can you explain your situation a little more ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a member of a private social club. I entertained a lady guest to lunch. There were probably 200 other members and guests present. Some other member or guest accidentally trapped my guest's arm in a sliding door, causing severe bruising. This was dealt with correctly and sympathetically by bar staff. As far as I know that was the only interaction of any consequence between my guest and any other person present. At the suggestion of the bar staff my guest went to the club office to report the incident as a possible health 'n' safety concern. A commiteeman unconcerned in the incident broke into the conversation saying "This woman is a nuisance: she has a history of insulting and being rude to members,guests and staff" efc etc These and other allegations were totally false, not to say fabricated, and made in front of other people in a bellicose and intoxicated aggressive tone of voice. I thought a letter before action would prove a salutory lesson.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have there been any other complaints?