12826847

I regretfully made some threats via Whatsapp to a girl,

Hi, I regretfully made some drunken threats via Whatsapp to a girl, using some foul laungauge and suggesting i would post some intimate pictures of her online (I of course did not do this). The police were called and interviewed her, but she did not make a statement and doesn't want to. We have since spoken and cleared things up between the two of us but the police are expecting to speak to her again.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to understand what can happen if she doesn't give a statement, and if I am interviewed whether I should give 'no comment' answers and what the likely ramifications are - I have a totally clean record up to now
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Does she have a history of doing this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not that I am aware of, but she has in the past sent messages to a new girlfriend of mine trying to damage that relationship and sent me emails saying she hopes she has hurt me etc. I wouldn't say she has a history of contacting the police from my knowledge
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

OK. I would proceed on the basis that she probably will make a statement. I realise that she is telling you she will not and doesn't want to but that is nonsense. When a person doesn't want anybody prosecuted they do not make reports to the police. It is really not very complicated. Quite frankly, I think if these ladies had to get up off the sofa and walk down to the local police station to make a report we would never heard about domestic abuse again.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

You misunderstand her. She has not agreed to discontinue this because you have apologised. She has done it to have control over you. It is part and parcel of classic female abuse.

Do not make too many allowances. It was always open to her to just delete this twaddle and get on with her life. If she had to pay to call the police she would not have reported this nonsense.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

In any event, if she was interviewed then she almost certainly did make a statement. They get them to sign their notebooks which acts as a statement basically because the police have had enough of these women wasting their time as well.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

If she genuinely has not made a statement then they cannot force her to do so.

But she will tell you the police have forced her to do so when she was perfectly willing to assist them. That is another part of female abuse.

The police do not usually just attend at random houses and excite a domestic squabble. Young ladies call them to family squabbles and then make allegations. It is that way around. These complainants will then blame the police but, in fact, it is absolutely entirely a situation of their own creation.

Do not accept her ridiculous account. We all have rows. We do not all get the police involved.

For what it is worth, my old pupil master always used to tell me never to put anything in writing to anybody that I would not want read out in court. That has served me fairly well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to understand the process that is likely to occur at the police station and the likely outcome in terms of punishment please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

It depends what the posts say.

Some threats are taken very seriously.

Some are basically malicious communications.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I threatened to put intimate pictures online - no violence or anything like that
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have intimate pictures?

Did you attach any condition?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I said 'joke, watch the Internet' and sent a picture to her. I 100% didn't put anything online. She has apologised to me today, but obviously that doesn't change anything
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

It depends on the context but that sounds like a malicious communication at it's highest point. You might have a defence if the message did include the word 'joke.'

They would probably offer a caution for that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If she doesn't give a statement and won't provide them with the screen shot, can they still press charges?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have messages from her today saying she is sorry, she wants to see me, she didn't want it to get serious etc
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, they could do that.

They may struggle to prove that it was offensive within the meaning of the Act.

Don't take any notice of her ridiculous excuses. If she didn't want it to get serious then she wouldn't have called the police. What she wants to do is use the police to control you. That is abuse. Find yourself a sensible girlfriend with no history of calling the police and making allegations of abuse of any kind.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice