How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question

propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 270
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

Im the landlord of this17 acre land and a developer is

Customer Question

im the landlord of this17 acre land and a developer is interested i have a tenant that has this old agriculture holding act 1986.
i would like to know is there a set rate that i can give him to give up the tenancie.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 10 months ago.

Hi David

Thanks for your question.

It is potentially complex and will largely depend upon the type of holding nd how you terminate it.

Compensation for disturbance: basic compensation and additional compensation

There are two parts to compensation for disturbance:

  • Basic compensation, being either of the following:

    • an amount equal to one year's rent; or

    • a greater amount equal to the smaller of either two year's rent or the tenant's actual loss unavoidably incurred, but only if the tenant has given the landlord notice (at least one month before termination) of their intention to make such a claim and a reasonable opportunity of valuing the goods, implements, fixtures and other relevant items.

  • Additional compensation of an amount equal to four years' rent.

The tenant's entitlement to compensation for disturbance is set out below, it depends on which case you rely to terminate the holding. I have shown if basic and additional compensation is payable to the tenant.

Basic compensation Additional compensation

Case A (smallholdings)

Yes. No

Case B (non-agricultural use)

Yes Yes

Case C (certificate of bad husbandry)

No. No

Case D (rent or remediable breach)

No. No

Case E (irremediable breach)

No. No

Case F (insolvency)

No no

Case G (death)

No. No

Case H (Ministry certificate)

Yes. No

Unqualified notice


No additional compensation is payable if the landlord serves an unqualified notice in certain circumstances and if it is contested and the Tribunal agrees.

Compensation on termination under early resumption clause

The tenant is entitled to compensation under section 62 of the AHA 1986 (in addition to any other compensation payable) where both the following apply:

  • The landlord gives a Case notice or unqualified notice under a clause in the tenancy authorising the resumption of possession of the holding for some specified purpose other than the use of the land for agriculture.

  • The tenant quits the holding in consequence of that notice.

The compensation payable is an amount equal to the value of any additional benefit which would have accrued to the tenant if the tenancy had been terminated "on the expiration of twelve months from the end of the year of tenancy current when the notice was given", I.e a tenant should be given 12 months notice and you have given a shorter notice period to the tenant.

In summary, it is potentially complicated as it will depend on the type of holding and the method you choose to terminate the holding.

Do you have any queries? I hope this helps.

Please can I ask you to accept / positive rate my response. Happy to assist further thereafter.

Kind regards

propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 270
Experience: Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand it is very complex but just to clarify if i m succesfull in gaining planning permission. can i get the tenant of the land by giving them notice ( 12months ) and paying them at most 4 times the rent as it is only some fields no house or buildings.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 10 months ago.

Notice is 12 months but it depends on the holding and which case is stated in the notice as to whether no, basic and additional compensation is payable. If you look at the list of cases above, you will state one of these in the notice you will see what is to be paid.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice