Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Did they install the boiler as well? Are you trying to get your money back just for the repairs or for the boiler too?
you mean the installation was £2200?
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Thanks for your patience. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:
· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);
· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and
· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).
If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:
1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.
2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.
3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader.
You are unlikely to be able to get the full cost of the installation back as you would have still obtained some benefit from their work. The full work was not completed to an acceptable standard but that does not mean that everything was wrong and only certain parts of the service were unacceptable. So you can only get money back to bring these issues to a satisfactory standard.
I suggest you get some quotes to see how much it would cost to get the issues resolved and in general that would be the costs you are able to deduct from the original amount you paid for the service.
This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have to take this further if they refuse to assist you, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.