13262538

I, i have a jpint account with my mum whereby my mum is the

i,
i have a jpint account with my mum whereby my mum is the main account holder and i have tird party access. I have always dealt with the transactions and account however recently HSBC froze the account and said they wanted to speak with my mum about the transactions that have taken place but they did not want me or anyone present with my mu. I refused to this as i am worried they would misell her products as she is 68 years old.. Can HSBC do this. surely if my mum wants to bring someone with her of her choice hsbc cant refuse.Please advise .
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

What makes you think they wish to sell her products?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Because they are not allowing her to have anyone elsw present. I already agreed with the banknot to come with her but told them she want feel comfortable on her own and will want another person attending with her which they refusdd. With all the missell ppis and bank accounts i am just worried they will sell her something. We are a premier customer so there is scope to sell

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

It is highly unlikely that they are intending to sell her any products - and if they do then you can immediately cancel the request.

I am afraid that the most likely reason for the request is that they have some concerns about the way the account is run and wish to speak to your mother to ensure that she is aware of what is happening.

This is why they do not wish you or any other family member to be present.

If your mother is an unusually frail lady (68 is no longer old in most people's eyes) then you amy wish to suggest that a neutral person goes with her to support her - and old friend of hers, or even someone from Age UK.

Please ask if you need further details